Wednesday, August 1, 2018

An Interview with Vida Ghaffari

Hey folks. Today's review isn't one. Rather I was asked by an actress/voice actress appearing in Mind of Mencia, Jimmy Kimmel Live and The Mindy Project. This actress sought me out as she has previously worked with a mutual friend Dustin Ferguson (Doll Killer, Die Sister, Die!, Gloved Murderess, Cheerleader Camp: To the Death, Invitation to Die and Nemesis 5: The New Model) and I admire that level of boldness.  Let's see what we can learn.


Photo(s) courtesy of Guillermo Proano /PR Photos.

Photo(s) courtesy of Guillermo Proano /PR Photos.



































So you do a Suspense Show for an audio drama.  Why voice work?  "It was something I fell into and enjoyed doing when I was an entertainment reporter for an international satellite Persian TV station a while back. I had to voice my promos in Farsi and English and joked that did twice as much work for half the pay! So I actually started out in vo before acting. While I love the field of voice over, some of the industry is suffering from all the underpaid work that is unfortunately and oddly enough part of all this great technology, where anyone anywhere can do vo for often little to no payment and undervalue it, especially commercially."


"Dave and Dave Recording Studios are one of the best in trends and technical.

Veteran voice announcer Don LaFontane has a studio named after him with his passing in 2008.  Don LaFontaine Voiceover Lab with the SAG-AFTRA Foundation.   Some of my mentors were mentored by Don and they are just paying it forward with the same patience and grace he had."

For those that do not know, this gruff voiced man was known in the biz as King of the Movie Trailers, The Voice and The Godfather of Trailers. "In a world..." Ring any bells? Okay fine. Xena's promo announcer, Renegade's narrator and JAG's opening narrator to name just some of the man's work.



Rock' N' Sexxxy with Amber Lynn and Yan Birch























I understand that you have been a reoccurring guest host on Amber Lynn's Rock 'N' Sexxxy for LA Talk Radio. I have listened to only a handful of her interviews but I admit I am slowly becoming a fan.   "Amber is lovely, outgoing and such a fine host. She always makes an interview fun. I'm so flattered that she thought of me and extended the gracious invite. I'm more east coast and she's an Orange County gal at heart, so I think it's a good combination. We just had Yan Birch on that Thursday. I had just acted with him in a film called Abeyance." 


Yan Birch who I knew as Stairmaster from Wes Craven's People Under the Stairs. I was just looking at this man's bio and it is vast.  "He is such a great actor and take great pauses and goes from moment to moment with such an intensity. He does so much with his eyes. It's riveting."   Both Vida and I are convinced the man stopped aging. I am going with Highlander immortal to explain it.


It is my take that Amber can get answers with ease and seems to be easy going.  My friend Dustin Ferguson was the first interview I heard when he was plugging Nemesis 5: The New Model.


Vida found Dustin to be so hardworking all the time. They were at a film festival this past spring when his film was screening and he had to head out to finish some more editing for another project. I'm assuming it was right after the Q and A. "He gets the most out of every scene and he is great at what he does". I confirmed he and I could speak obscure films all day long.


Daiane Azura and Vida team-up!

















Abeyance is Sci-fi/Action with Billy Wirth of War Party, The Lost Boys, Scout Taylor Taylor-Compton of Halloween 1 and 2, Richard Tyson of Three O' Clock High. " Richard Tyson has a MFA from Cornell and is an actor's actor.   This open and humble man from Mobile, Alabama and is down to Earth and centered. He recited Shakespearean sonnets in between takes with perfection and ease!"   Birch, who was referenced above, also starred in this film along with noted actor Mel Novak from Bruce Lee's Game of Death
Director Harley Wallen directs like a captain of the ship, constantly there but not checking on you. He knows what you can do and what you are capable of. Such a tremendous talent. What a treat it was to work with him and might I add that he had an amazing crew!" 

Let's talk about Facebook Live with Ford and Vida. How did this come about?

"We were all over L.A. Because Ford put me in touch with Artists for Trauma and we promoted charity events but ironically our first show was a wedding and jewelry for Macy's. He was the first person to receive this help after being in this horrific car accident, he was told he may never walk again and two years after the accident he was back to singing, dancing and acting once more.
He is a on-point lovely fellow and his wife Lauree Dash is an open hearted person that is heart centered person, that made a great power couple."


Just got done watching Mel Novak in Holy Terror.   Couldn't help but recognize some folk I recognize in it.  Like Kristine DeBell of Meatballs, Battle Creek Brawl and Blood Brothers.   I swear I am not aging myself on purpose.



You worked with Dawna Lee Heising of Natural Born FilmmakersHorndog's Party Beach and Copperhead Creek.  "Yes, we just shot Horndog's Beach Party and Dawna was incredible as the nosy cougar next door. Most actors would play a caricature, but Dawna dug deep!  Though the film is comedy in the vein of Porky's, I like the believability of it.  If I haven't said it enough already, Dustin is an incredible director.  I dunno when the guy sleeps. He's always working on something!"  
What do you have coming up? 
I have a film I'm working on this fall and I'm re-occurring on the Suspense Show on XM Satellite Radio. I recently voiced an episode with Adrienne Wilkinson (Xena: Princess Warrior) and Keston John (Bosch). I also voiced an episode with Mel that will hopefully be up soon, where I play the ultimate femme fatale. I was just nominated for best voiceover for another episode I voiced, "Have A Hacking, Whacking Christmas" at the 2018 Los Angeles Nollywood Awards this Sunday, August 5th at the Miracle Theater in Inglewood.  Mel, Dawna, and Dustin are all nominated for Sci Fi awards for their work on Nemesis 5: The New Model.  Harley is also nominated in the Thriller category and so is his talented and stunning wife Kaiti. More info at http://lanfaa.com/ 




Voice actor, hostess, actress, comedian and fashion guru, it is safe to say that Vida has drive, ambition but is modest at her accomplishments. With a wry sarcastic humor she is very warm and inviting with no apprehension I could find. Polite and charming with passion for her family, friends and projects. She has been referenced as the "Persian Linda Blair" thanks to her work in Holy Terror and to be honest, it felt like stepping back in time. Watching the Exorcist for the first time. Keep your eyes peeled for Abeyance and Copperhead Creek in works now and keep watch of this rising star.

Yes, I will give a review on Holy Terror.


No comments:

Post a Comment